Recently discovered legal documents show that « Michel Gaubert dit boeuf », who lived in a village about 1 km away, bought this land in 1690 under the reign of Louis XIV (note the sun in the seal). At a later date, he cut three oak beams from the village forest, which he had the right to do only if he used them for his own house in the village. But because he moved them to the lieu-dit Parrot, which was under the jurisdiction of the next village, someone complained. A well documented legal process, involving two experts who examined the three tree stubs, finally explains how the Jas du Boeuf got its name and clearly shows that it dates from at least 1718. Stay turned for our 300 year anniversary party in 2018!